[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Tower Installation Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Tower Installation Questions
From: jon.ogden@cain-forlaw.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:22:11 -0500

>       I would opt for a flat base plate and a single large
>       bolt in the center to hold the plate in place.  Almost
>       all of the forces at the base are DOWNWARD.
>
>       (A base plate on earth WILL RUST and so will the
>       tower legs.  I have such a tower base from a removal.)

OK, that's a good point.  Looks like I'll get Rohn's hinged flate base
plate.  I wish they had one that wasn't hinged as I don't need it.  But I
never thought about the issue of rusting.  Why just a single bolt and not
multiple bolts?  A friend who suggested the flat plate method said to have
nuts screwed onto the bolts in the concrete and then have the base plate set
on those nuts.  That way, you get the plate off the concrete and keep
water/moisture away from it.  This is the way you see cellular monopoles
installed, light poles, etc.

Is this how you'd do it or would you do it differently?

> > Question 1: Do I need to guy the tower above the house bracket?
>
>       YES   YES  YES

OK.  Done!

> > Now, I have to figure out where to put the other two guys.  Well,
> > they'd need to be attached through the roof of the house.  Is this
> > a good  or a bad idea?  My plan would be to bolt 2x4's or 2x6's
> > across several roof  joists in the house.  Then I'd pass a large eye
> > bolt through the roof and  fasten the eye bolt into those boards.
> > That would comprise my guy point.  Is  this a good idea?
> > Is it a safe idea?
>
>       Sounds reasonable to me.  You do not have a BIG load
>       so ANY guy is better than NO guy.   N4KG
>
>       Is your house one or two stories?  I have seen people
>       put a metal pole up next to and attached to the the edge
>       of the roof with the guy attached to the pole just above
>       the roofline.

It's a split level.  The edge of the roof is perhaps around 15 feet above
the ground.

>       You need to have the guys as close to 120 degrees
>       apart as possible.

OK.  That's what I figured.  So even though I will have shorter guy wires
and steeper angles on them, that's OK.  Correct?

> > 1.) Is a Tower Jack a good investment to purchase?
>
>       Useful but not necessary.  Be sure to fit all sections
>       together ON THE GROUND before raising them.
>       You may want to mark the joint number and orientation
>       for ease of assembly.

Well, we've done a couple and the darn things just don't want to fit
together too well.  Diffculty lining them up, etc.  I am afraid that once I
slip them together, they won't come apart very easily.  Any suggestions for
making sections slide together more easily?  WD-40 or some other lubricant?

> > 2.) Is there anything I can use as a substitute for a gin
> pole or do
> > I need to find one to borrow or purchase?
>
>       A gin pole is the SAFE way to proceed.
>       See Rohn, WB0W, or make your own.

That's what I figured.  I've thought about making my own, but wonder if it's
just better to invest in a good ready made one.  Anyone have any links or
anything to plans for making your own?

> > 5.) What's the best climbing hardware to get?
>
>       The new standard is a full body harness.
>       I've done all my tower work with a simple nylon belt
>       and TWO lanyards.      Tom  N4KG

That's what I was thinking - a full body harness.  Yes, two lanyards is a
good idea.

73 and thanks for the reply,

Jon
NA9D