[TowerTalk] Paranoid vs. Overkill

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Paranoid vs. Overkill
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:32:48 -0500
No, you are correct as far as I know, Barry. But my gut feeling is if 90+
will take down 100' oak trees nearby (and it did), gust OR sustained, I
don't want to take any chances. Besides, how long is "sustained" compared to
a "gust"? We had 20-30 seconds of 90+ here last time we had this happen. Was
that a gust? In either case, if the tower isn't up to it (actually, the
tower probably isn't the question, it's the guy anchors and guys), it won't
matter, I guess. As I mentioned, the difference was less than $200 more to
build it to 110 mph vs. 80 mph. Heavier guys, bigger anchors. Compare that
cost to the $4K - $5K investment in the tower and antennas, and IMHO only an
optimistic moron (or an extremely cheap person) would design for the lower
speed in order to save a few dollars. On the other hand, if the person that
did that did it because of the money, he wouldn't have spent a bundle on a
new tower to start with - so that rules that out, leaving only the moron, I
guess. :-)
73, Jerry W5KP