[TowerTalk] delta loop beams - US manufactured

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] delta loop beams - US manufactured
From: K4tmc@aol.com (K4tmc@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:11:08 EDT
Ian,

The antenna you are inquiring about was the model DL-TRI by Delta Loop
Antenna, Inc. of Weston, VT (previously in New Milford, CT).  The company is
no longer in business.  The owner, Robert Hobert, KA1UJ is, I think, a SK.
The array is very strong, using none of the standard U-bolt type clamps.
Element-to-boom and boom-to-mast joints are all done with heavy-duty solid
machined aluminum parts, not castings, and stainless steel hardware.  Two of
the 3 sides were made of aluminum tubing that rose from the boom at an angle
with a copper wire stretched across the top for the 3rd side of the delta
loop.

I purchased what may be one of the last DL-TRI's back in April 1993, when he
was not actively building any arrays with 10 Meter capability due to the low
sunspot activity at that time.  The array included 2 elements on 20 and 15
meters plus 3 elements on 10 meters and weighed 81 lbs when fully assembled
on a 13.5 ft boom.  Each band was fed with separate feedlines through gamma
matchs affixed to the boom.  There was a review of the DL-TRI in CQ in June
1988 by Lew McCoy, W1ICP.

I have never gotten around to building the full array due to tower
restrictions in my neighborhood.  Right now I am using the 3 element 10 meter
delta loop portion mounted on a military surplus AB-577 crank-up mast for
several contest operations per year.

73,
Henry Pollock - K4TMC
Raleigh, NC