[TowerTalk] Salt Water, How far is too far?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Salt Water, How far is too far?
From: K7GCO@aol.com (K7GCO@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 21:15:54 EDT
In a message dated 9/23/01 3:51:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time, kk9a@arrl.net
writes:
<<
 I tried a vertical array from ZF2 and it worked very well 1 meter from the
 water.  I believe that you need to be closer than one wavelength for it to
 work well.  Closer is better.
 73, John

John: The closer the better is a good idea.  W7DND who was one of the first
to use verticals and horizontals on salt water after WWII that many of us got
to observe.  He could work So Americans on 10M others in the Puget Sound Area
couldn't hear in the summer during the lows in the sun spot cycle.  He used
vertical beams with about 10 dB gain.  Locals would drop in on him when doing
so to verify he wasn't faking it.  Would you believe the angle was so low it
kicked up a mist over the water--a "RF Mist" that is.  You could see the
beams pattern on the water with special polarized glasses like used at 3D
Movies. That's an absolutely true story--I just made it up.

He used them all the all from waters edge to his house about 120' back.
Without one both places it would be difficult to prove it one way or the
other.  Run a test and let us know.  He also used 1/2 waves that didn't need
any radials either.  He had very dominate signals on all bands.  k7gco

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----