[TowerTalk] Shredded Ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shredded Ground
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 06:28:48 -0500
Jim, I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies to this question, and they will
probably all start with "don't solder grounds". :-)  If there's enough left
to work with (a couple of inches, at least) I'd cut it off clean, find some
thick flat copper bar stock (maybe 3/16" or 1/4" thick and at least an inch
wide), cut two matching pieces, and make a "sandwich" with the copper strap
as the meat. Then I'd bolt the sandwich together with copper bolts and
hardware (3 bolts should do it) if I could find copper hardware, stainless
steel if I couldn't. The important thing will be to restore the mechanical
surface area to the joint, and use only metallurgically compatible or non
corroding hardware for the securing bolts/hardware. I would not advise
soldering in any form for a ground strap. A lightning hit might blow it
open, and also corrosion will go to work on it over time.
73, Jerry W5KP