[TowerTalk] Homebrew Rotators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Rotators
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 14:53:58 -0500
On 11/1/01 6:03 AM, Zoltan.Pitman@libertel.nl at
Zoltan.Pitman@libertel.nl wrote:

>I've been to this street and I never want to return... :)
>
>The pots are changing their resistance with humidity and especially
>temperature. In addition, RF can leak into your cable and superpose to the
>DC voltage resulting false readings.
>
>73 de Zoli HA1AG

How about using a digital technique? I've seen wind direction indicators
that drive a wheel made of transparent plastic. The wheel has several
bands that are alternately dark and light. A bank of optical sensors
detects if light passes through the bands or not. The bands are usually
gray-coded binary.

With 6 bands, you can get a precision of a little more than 5 degrees.
Typical wind-direction indicators are only show 1 of 8 (45 degrees) or 1
of 16 (22.5 degrees)

An alternative, from a TowerTalk thread of long ago, is to buy a
small-closed circuit TV camera and place it at the base of the tower,
pointing up. (Preferably on the north side, so as to allow the tower to
block out the sun during the day) Illuminate the antennas for checking
the direction at night.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----