[TowerTalk] 72 ohm transmitting twinlead

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 72 ohm transmitting twinlead
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 21:23:23 -0800
The following lumped element circuit is
equivalent to a quarter wave of 75 ohm line:

      ------CAPACITOR----------CAPACITOR-------

  INPUT               INDUCTOR               OUTPUT

      ------CAPACITOR----------CAPACITOR-------

(Set your font to Courier for this ASCII art!)

The series capacitors have a reactance of 37.5 ohms
and the shunt inductor has a reactance of 75 ohms.
As shown, the circuit gives a 90 degree phase
lead, whereas a 1/4 wave line gives a 90 degree
phase lag.  If you swap the open wire line
connections to one side, you can add a 180
degree phase shift so that the lumped element
network gives a 90 degree lag like the 1/4
wave line.  You can also build it with four
inductors and one capacitor, then you don't
have to swap the connections to get a lag.

I use seven of these circuits in my seven
element driven array, and they work perfectly.

Rick Karlquist N6RK

> Well, I have searched in vain for a source of the old style 72-75
> ohm brown
> twin lead with no success.  My current project needs a 1/4wave 75 ohm
> balance feedline transformer, but I don't seem to be able to find one.
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Mel Farrer
> Director of Engineering
> Tality Corporation