[TowerTalk] George de Lee....Aluminum threaded machine screws?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] George de Lee....Aluminum threaded machine screws?
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:09:39 +0000

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:12:33 EST K7LXC@aol.com writes:

>     LOCTITE is available from ANY auto parts store as well as lots
> of
> hardware stores. I *think* the red one is the permanent one and the
> blue one
> is the removeable version.

Steve is right, but neither one will hold the self-tapping screws
in a Ham-IV rotor when they start to loosen up. I've been there,
and done that, and so have several other Towertalk denizens. This
issue was discussed in a thread here several years ago.

The Helicoil might work, but I'm not sure if there is enough
material in the housing to support the oversized hole and tap.

Another little complication is that once three screws have fallen
out, the fourth one usually shears off, leaving the steel shank
in the upper housing. You have to deal with that with an EZ-out
before you can do anything. However you look at it, it's
a pain in the neck.

One chap said he had drilled holes right through the upper
housing and used threaded SS rod and nuts to hold the halves
together successfully. You can also buy a new upper housing.
I think it's better to horse-trade the Ham-IV for a T2X and
sidestep the problem, if you can.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com