[TowerTalk] 40m 4square - factors relating to gain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40m 4square - factors relating to gain
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:09:56 -0600
Tom, W8JI, makes a good point about directivity for receiving.
I often listen on my Beverages on 40M rather than the beam or
Delta Loop because the Beverage is quieter.  When running
weak Europeans, it is a toss up between having enough signal
to copy the guys with incredibly poor antennas and being able
to copy the signal through the noise. I guess phased Beverages
is the next step for the SERIOUS contester who wants to hear
those puny signals that are 40 db or more below the average
100W and dipole guys.  Fortunately, there are enough DX
stations with moderately good antenna systems to allow DXers
to work all the active countries on 40M using modest antenna
systems.

Tom  N4KG