[TowerTalk] TailTwister Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TailTwister Problem
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:58:43 -0500

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:40:29 -0600 Tom Martin <tmartin@chartermi.net>
writes:

> I finally got the tower up, but the antennas are stuck due north
> because the rotor won't turn!  Everything worked fine on the bench, but
once
> it was in the air, it doesn't turn.  The wedge releases and the
> antennas show normal play in the breeze; so, there isn't any binding.

K1VR: With the standard Tailtwister or Ham-M/Ham IV (no special
connector), I have had the experience of a wire sliding off a screw or
touching an adjacent screw terminal. Turn off the power and climb back up
with (1) a screwdriver, and (2) a flashlight. If necessary, bring a
magnifying glass -- just a loose strand or two could be your short.

Fred Hopengarten K1VR                       hopengarten@post.harvard.edu
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
781/259-0088 *eFax 419/858-2421