[TowerTalk] unusual RF Choke design

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] unusual RF Choke design
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:21:04 -0500
> He said to start with a 10 inch inside diameter single coax coil then
> wrap 10 turns around, like you would if you were coiling a water hose
> on the ground or for you Navy vets, a properly coiled of rope on the
> deck.   This sounds like it would end up being 15 inches or more in
> total diameter, a bit big for an RF choke isn't it?  Then hang the
> whole thing perpendicular to the boom.  I even called their tech help
> line back later to be sure I had the directions correct and the same
> person said the coil would make an RF choke, not an "inductor", his
> terminology.

An RF choke and an inductor are the same thing. In this
application you create a reactance and that reactance is in series
with the OUTSIDE of the shield.

That is true if you use a solenoid or a pancake coil. Either would
function exactly the same in the system, the only major difference
is mechanical. A solenoid would actually be the preferred shape for
mechanical reasons, that is why you see very few pancake coils in
this application.

> I've seen photos of and several Mosley beams in person, but none had
> an RF choke like this one.

Few people like to do something that is more difficult to handle
mechanically, when there is no electrical advantage.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----