[TowerTalk] Looking for Ideas for Preserving Tower Legs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Looking for Ideas for Preserving Tower Legs
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 18:06:52 -0800
At 06:31 PM 2001-12-03 -0500, Dave Sublette wrote:
Long time ago iron by the blacksmiths was protected and called black
wrought iron.  I think that the wat they protected the iron was to heat it
to almost red then quench it in tar.  It had to be coated now and then with
molten tar.  Now if you heated the legs with a propane tourch then put the
roofing compound on the legs while hot, this might be a good method of
protecting the legs.

Chris opr VE7HCB

>I coat the legs of my towers with roofing compound...black gooey stuff.
>Your idea of treating the legs, then filling the concrete up to above
>grade seems reasonable. I have actually removed a one yard base from the
>ground using railroad jacks. It wasn't too hard.
>
>73,
>
>Dave, K4TO
>
>W9zr@aol.com wrote:
>
>>I am running into a problem with my tower legs starting to rust and I am
>>looking for some ideas.
>>
>>Background:

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----