[TowerTalk] ++ Fwd: KYTV, Channel 3 - Springfield, MO -Television tow

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ++ Fwd: KYTV, Channel 3 - Springfield, MO -Television tower top...
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:55:14 -0800
This puzzles me.  If ice does not stick, say to the guy wire, how will it
build up to   "a really heavy cylinder of ice"     to be able to      "...
accerlerating down the guy wire"??

I think that we should look at the formation of ice on towers, guy lines etc.
My problem with just the masts, guy wires, feed line and the wire antenna,
is the snow build up. (No tower here ie no money for such)  Then only when
the ambient temperature is around the freezing point.  I think that you
know those big beautiful fluffy snow flakes that adhere to anything.  So I
just go out side, (my wife will not do it so I have to), and hit the masts
with a stick and any guy wire that I can, to shock wave the departure of
the snow thereon.

Now how does the ice build up on the various components of the antennas
system??  Then how do we stop such build up?
I know for a fact that freezing rain will stick to glass!  I was travelling
(this was when I was young and adventurisome) from the lower rainland of BC
to the interior where I live.  We went through a belt of altitude of
freezing rain.  The rain landed on the windshield (or wind screen), the
headlights ( ??) and stuck!!  I had to stop every 5 minutes, going up hill
on a sheet of ice for a highway and scrape the ice off the windshield and
the headlights so that I could see.  There was a time I would not stop so I
had to stick my glassessed face out the window to proceed.  Unfortunatley
for you people we survived.

So, I think that what I am asking is how does ice build up on Ham equipment
that is outside of the shack?

Chris opr VE7HCB

At 05:56 AM 2001-12-07 -0800, Larry McDavid wrote:

>Ice? Not here....
>
>However, ice that does not stick to a guy wire presents the image of a
>really heavy cylinder of ice accelerating as it slides down the guy
>wire, just before it impacts the clamping hardware..... This is not a
>pretty picture.
>
>Pete Smith wrote:
> >
> > At 04:21 AM 12/7/01 -0500, Ron KA4INM Youvan wrote:
> > >The latest development is paint that doesn't allow the ice to stick
> > >(to the antenna), which works, disappointedly. (not as was hoped)
> >
> > I wonder if this is the same stuff that was developed maybe 30 years ago
> > for use on radomes on the DEW line.  I understand it works really well on
> > beam elements, but can imagine that the complex shapes, surfaces and angles
> > of a really big tower might present a different set of challenges.
> >
> > Anyhow, it's still sold -- www.vellox.com.
> >
> > 73, Pete N4ZR
> > www.qsl.net/n4zr

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,