[TowerTalk] Tall

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tall
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:59:48 -0600
N4KG response below.

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001  Tom Anderson <ww5l@gte.net> writes:

> Fellow TTers:
>
> I once stopped by a QTH in Houston to pick up a radio for a friend
> in Dallas and
> the ham that had been repairing it had a 6 element triband beam at
> 105 feet. He
> had no problem working anyone further away than 2,000 miles, but
> couldn't work
> anyone any closer, he said.  He had worked everyone in the eastern
> hemisphere,
> but hardly anyone in the western hemisphere.  He said he couldn't
> never work any
> of the Caribbean island countries or anything closer than Argentina
> in South
> America.  I mentioned he should just put up a small ring rotator
> with a small 3
> element beam at 60 feet or so and his sigs wouldn't go over the top
> of anyone
> closer.
>
> Don't know if he ever took my advice.
>
> Tom, WW5L

As most readers know, I've been preaching that everyone
needs BOTH  High and Low antennas to cover ALL the angles
supported by the ionosphere.  IMHO, everyone would benefit
by having a good tribander (or separate monobanders) at
40 ft in addition to higher antennas.  A 40 ft high horizontally
polarized antenna will cover up to 20 degrees on 10M, 30 degrees
on 15M, and 40+ degrees on 20M which fills in the NULLS
of higher antennas for the high angle openings and close in
stations.  During the SS, my 40 ft high TH7 was 10 to 20 dB
louder into W1,2,3 (500 to 800 miles) than my 4L15 at 55 ft
and my 3L20 at 75 ft.

Tom  N4KG