[TowerTalk] ++ High SWR and Modern Transceivers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ++ High SWR and Modern Transceivers
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:15:57 -0500
> Tom. You are promulgating wrong ideas and concepts which will repeated
> by the neophyte.

I hope they do grasp the correct concept, then all the folklore about
SWR and what makes transmitters and tuners hot will cool off.

The only thing SWR does for certain, at least in the systems we
are using, is cause the load impedance to change. The rest all
depends on how the impedance changes.

Pete, with his modern transceiver, can't get an accurate short
answer except one that says, "Well Pete, something probably
changed. We just don't know what".

Claiming tuners get hotter when feeding loads with high SWR, and
stating tuners handle more power with a low SWR load, is much
more likely wrong than right!

Even in a transmission line, if the line is short in terms of
wavelength and the impedance moves in the right direction,
additional SWR can actually ***decrease*** line loss. That's
because loss is not evenly distributed between voltage and current
based losses, just as in a radio and a tuner.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----