[TowerTalk] ++ High SWR and Modern Transceivers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ++ High SWR and Modern Transceivers
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 06:59:52 -0500
> Guys, all I asked was whether I could do any harm to my transceiver by
> operating it into a high-SWR load, or at least one high enough to
> cause the output power to be folded back by the protective circuitry.

I wasn't answering your question, because no one can answer it.
The only answer is if it didn't blow up, it is probably OK. I wouldn't
run a rig without an adjustable matching system into a high SWR
load for a long period of time, unless I was testing it. But then
that's me.

I was correcting obvious misstatements where someone incorrectly
said SWR causes components to heat in tuners, etc. That folklore
needs to be quenched.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,