[TowerTalk] Re: Inverted L vs. Shunt fed tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Inverted L vs. Shunt fed tower
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:37:58 -0500
> the two examples, i.e. Shunt fed tower vs. Inverted L, for a DX
> antenna? I am thinking about such things as angle of radiation,
> efficiency and ease of matching or any other parameters that would
> enhance the antenna for low angle radiation.

With a good ground system, say at least 30 radials at least 100
feet long, it matters very little which of the two systems you use.

If there are high ground losses, the amount of top loading can affect
the results a noticeable amount. In that case you'd want to make
the L longer than 1/4 wl, or use a tower with enough "stuff" on top
current is maximum 1/2 way up the tower.

An L might be somewhat easier to install, but if you do that be sure
the tower is bonded into the radial system.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

This list is sponsored by the new eHam.net Store.  When you buy products
price goes to support this list.  Check it out at http://www.eham.net.

-----