[TowerTalk]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk]
From: kbottles@rafn.com (Kim Bottles)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:43:23 -0800
For the record I have successfully straightened two towers. (I know no
theory, I just know what has worked for me.)

I did it by completely disassembling the towers to work only on the bent
sections one at a time.

I placed the bent sections bowed sided down on some blocking to allow
room to insert my automotive floor jack under the section to be
straightened.
The section MUST be firmly anchored to the ground. A measuring reference
needs to be placed in such a way to monitor the progress.

Note the original bend and then bend the tower in the other direction
carefully. Release the pressure and note progress on the measuring
reference.

It took me several applications of reverse bend to straighten the
sections, but each only took a couple of minutes and now you can not
tell they were ever bent.

Careful setup and careful monitoring are very important. Think safety!
Apply a little reverse pressure and then measure. Do not get in a hurry
and reverse bend too far.

Depending on the construction of the tower you might have to spread the
load of the jack over an area so you don't get a "point load ding" in
the tower leg.

Be careful, take your time and you may be successful.

I was careful, I took my time, I set up carefully, I was safe and it
worked. Twice.

Best of luck & Happy New Years to you.

Kim Bottles - K7IM
Bainbridge Island, WA.
425-702-6628 day phone
Feel free to call if you have specific questions.