[TowerTalk] Using guy wire to carry in coax lines?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using guy wire to carry in coax lines?
From: Roger Borowski" <K9RB@arrl.net (Roger Borowski)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:54:28 -0500
If your feedlines and control cables do not go all the way down
the tower to ground level, the potential for extremely high
lightning induced voltages to travel down your cables towards your
shack and equipment is real. With the cables traveling inside the
tower to ground level, as is recommended for maximum lightning
protection, and then along or under ground to the shack entrance
panel and SPG, the potential vs. ground is reduced to a level that
surge protection devices can safely handle. The trade-off for
somewhat shorter cable runs is not worth the risk in my opinion.
73, -=Rog-K9RB=-