[TowerTalk] Foundation too close to Tower??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Foundation too close to Tower??
From: rhodes@evertek.net (Jim Rhodes)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:03:03 -0600
With the tower cranking down to 11 feet and the antenna not much higher you
might not be able to crank it down all the way if next to the house. Unless
you have a flat roof anyway. I put my guyed tower right next to the house
but not bracketed to it and now sometimes wish I had placed it differently.
There is always some device in the house that is subject to RFI and placing
it further away might have lessened that. On the other hand I do have some
roof mounted antennas and it is nice to not have to get a ladder out every
time I need to work on them. Just take one of the panels off and climb
right up.

Read the archives and K1TTT's page and enjoy.

At 06:36 1/27/02 -0600, Barry Baker wrote:

>Tower is a US Tower Model TMM-433HD.
>Base requirement is 4'x4'x5'deep.
>Building inspector at city hall says base must be 5' from the home's
>foundation. He based this statement on the fact I am going 5' deep with the
>hole.Would like to be much closer. The idea being that I could stand on the
>roof for antenna service. Although the tower collapses to 11' in it's
>retracted position, no big deal to stand on a extension ladder. Having never
>been involved with tower work, what do you guys think? I could try to argue
>a case for closer placement of the tower.
>
>Maybe I want this little short tower as far away as possible from the roof
>line, so as to reduce any reflection from the roof? Then what about line
>loss?
>
>Why does US Towers not want me to tack my rebar cage with weld?
>I own a machine shop and it would be a much "cleaner" job than tie wire.
>
>Original intent was to contract this entire job. I am in the Ham Radio
>business, not construction. Got my quote for installation, and now I am in
>the construction business  (Hi Hi). Quote was $4k. Included Foundation,
>erection, antenna/rotor installation, and two ground rods. I was to be
>responsible for all materials. Maybe was a good price? Please advise. (Have
>not  broke ground yet)
>
>Thanks,
>Barry
>KC0LCL

>Where do you get ICE bandpass filters & beverage matching boxes?  The
>same place that pays for the hosting of this list:  The eHam Store.
>Order online at http://store.eham.net.
>
>-----

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net