[TowerTalk] 3el electrically steerible yagi?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 3el electrically steerible yagi?
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:15:55 -0800
I have an array like this, except it has 7
elements.  One in the center and 6 in a
circle of 3/4 wl diameter.  However, it
is an all driven array, not parasitic.
There are 3 phasing networks.  One fires
in the direction of any of the six outer
elements (selectable) with 9 dB gain over
an individual vertical.  The second phasing
network fires in between outer elements with
8 dB gain.  The third phasing network is
omni directional with 2 dB gain.  I have
a 40 meter version of this on the air,
an 80 meter version is under construction,
and a 160 meter version is being planned.
I also have a contingency plan for 60 meters,
if we get that band.

I fooled around on EZNEC with parasitic
excitation and I was able get within a dB or
two of the driven gain that way, but then I would
have to worry about tuning the elements.  With
a driven system, I just force the currents and
it doesn't particularly matter exactly how the
antennas are tuned.

Rick N6RK

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----