[TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower
From: Roger Borowski" <K9RB@arrl.net (Roger Borowski)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:51:58 -0500
Series 304 Stainless Steel hardware equates to very near Grade 7,
significantly stronger than the Grade 5 hardware typically used in most
construction and automotive projects. The Stainless steel actually has
slightly superior shear strength than Grade 8 steel hardware but slightly
less tensile (fastening) strength. I believe the issue with tower thru bolts
is shear strength, where Stainless is superior, even to grade 8, which is
more brittle than stainless steel. Another factor is that the Grade 8 steel
hardware initial strength may be a bit greater than that of Stainless steel,
but the longevity of its slight tensile strength superiorness is always a
question, where the stainless steel will not degrade with time and exposure,
nor fall victim to electrolysis. Most manufacturers will err on the side of
cost vs. longevity and fortunately most antenna manufacturers have seen the
benefits of the longevity of stainless hardware and have been including it
for the past couple of decades. If you've been around awhile and recall
attempting to disassemble antennas back in the days before stainless steel
hardware was the norm, you'll know what I'm saying. Unfortunately most tower
manufacturers still haven't found it as a cost effective option that they
feel people will be willing to pay extra for. I believe that is the real
issue and not some minor variations in ultimate tensile strength. It is a
long term safety issue that in itself, should be enough reason to use
non-corrosive fasteners. After all, who has any idea how long a tower will
remain standing and who will be climbing it and the condition of the
hardware at that time?     73, -=Rog-K9RB=-