[TowerTalk] Copperweld stretch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Copperweld stretch
From: w5kp@swbell.net (Jerry Kincade)
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 16:20:43 -0800
I'm replacing the cheesy wire on my 265' Carolina Windom 160 with #12
CopperWeld, which I bought in a 500' coil from Davis RF (great outfit, BTW).
My prestretching method is tree trunk/chain/Klein grip on one end, then 500'
across the pasture at ground level to an anchor on the other end to a Klein
grip and comealong, crank down on it and let 'er sit overnight. Problem is
deciding when enough is enough on "cranking down" and time. Anybody
experienced in stretching this stuff? Is overnight enough? Heck, I can let
it sit a week out there if need be. I want it nice and straight and
prestretched, but don't want to push it to near failure. Don't have a pull
gauge, kind of wish I did now. Could have used the tractor but was afraid of
pulling the wire in two.
73, Jerry W5KP

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----