[TowerTalk] Climbing Belt Recommendations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing Belt Recommendations
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 19:50:10 -0500
TT:

     I've often wondered about the wisdom of having your safety harness AND
climbing/positioning belt all in one apparatus.  If the harness fails, BOTH
your safety lanyard and the positioning strap will let loose and down you
go.

     I have a separate belt and strap (by Buckingham) and climbing harness
(Petzl) that I don separately .  I feel that if either one of these systems
fails, I ought to have the other as a failsafe (assuming I'm tied in to the
tower with both at the time.)

    Of course, what is the likelihood that the entire harness will fail
catastrophically (you do inspect your safety equipment before each climb,
don't you?)  Maybe modern harnesses are bulletproof (figuratively speaking)
in their design and manufacture.  So maybe my concern is overkill.  Any
comments?

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F