[TowerTalk] Climbing Belt Recommendations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing Belt Recommendations
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:48:35 -0500
At 07:59 PM 2/10/02 -0500, tgstewart@pepco.com wrote:

>The problem with using the fall arrest lanyard while on the move is that
>the snaps are fairly small and have safeties that are very hard to
>operate, especially with gloves on.
>
>I think that gorilla hooks are the way to go for most people if you want
>to stay clipped in 100 %.

I normally wear leather gloves on the tower, particularly while climbing,
and have not found the OSHA clips on the Klein fall-arrest lanyard to be
hard to manipulate.  In fact, they have something close to the ideal
action, IMO - they can be pressed on a tower rung easily, but once on
require two separate opposing hand actions (can be done one-handed) to
release.  There's another type of OSHA mechanism -- I have them on my
positioning lanyard -- that is much harder to manipulate.

The point of all this is to suggest that the type of end termination --
Gorilla clip or differing OSHA mechanisms -- could also be a selection
criterion in choosing lanyards.

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower