[TowerTalk] Force 12 Sigma 80 (and alternatives)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 Sigma 80 (and alternatives)
From: daslin@bayarea.net (David Aslin)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:05:05 -0800
See my previous postings on the Force 12 EF180BV.  This is a 37 foot high
linear loaded vertical.  I used a pair spaced 30 feet (one-eighth
wavelength) to get top 5 80M single band finishes in CQWW and ARRL DX from
a small lot in UK.  The array survived several 80mph windstorms.  With lots
of short radials, the array only occupies a 60 foot square piece of real
estate.  If really space challenged, one EF180BV with say 60 x 25 foot
radials will deliver a good punch from a tiny lot.  The array was beaten
out by the many 4-squares in UK, but not by much - 1/2 - 1 S unit
estimated. On the other hand if you have space for a delta loop at 90 feet,
that probably will beat out the single vertical.

I'd anticipate the Sigma 80 doing a good job, depending on soil conditions
in its vicinity.  Even though it does not itself require radials, in poor
conductivity soil conditions, I'd want to lay a mat of wires to get the
near field conductivity up; and if you have the real estate, some really
long wires to impove the far field (the Sigma is a half wave, so far field
conductivity is more important than it is with a quarter wave).  So it may
not save the work of laying radials - but will get out way better than the
quarter wave verts with no radials :-)

Dave
WJ6O
G3WGN