[TowerTalk] aluminum tower disassembly?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] aluminum tower disassembly?
From: BruceAA5B@aol.com (BruceAA5B@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:25:43 EST
My tower has to come down. It's a very hefty 60-ft free-standing
tapered aluminum job (Universal, I think) that's been in place for
about 20 years, and I'm looking for advice on disassembly. I erected
most of it by tilting it up on a hinged base (5 big guys pushing, 3 up
on the roof pulling), but now there are trees and house additions
that won't let the process work in reverse.

I haven't tried to do anything yet, so maybe it'll go smoothly and
I'm worried for no good reason.  But just in case there's a problem,
how about some tips? Is there some good stuff to spray into the
joints ahead of time to loosen them up? Does heating help? Will a
tower jack be necessary? Is it time to hire a crane to pick the
whole thing up from the base and lay it down?

Would like to hear from anyone who has had to dissassemble one
of these after being up for so long.

     -Bruce AA5B

BruceAA5B@aol.com

Order online at http://store.eham.net.