[Towertalk] reflection gain addendum

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] reflection gain addendum
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:24:21 -0800
No, Chris, you are quite correct. The monopole over a
perfectly conducting ground has 5.15dBi gain. Both
antennas patterns have the same shape in the elevation
plane, only in the case of the monopole, half the pattern
is missing. Assuming 1 watt input power, the 1/2 watt
of radiated power that illuminated the lower hemisphere
of the free space dipole in the case of the monopole
is imaged by the ground plane into the upper hemisphere.
Thus, the field intensity in every direction in the upper
hemisphere of the monopole is twice that of free space
dipole, hence the 3dB increase in gain. This 3dB gain
manifests itself in the radiation resistance of the monopole
which is 35 ohms or 1/2 of the 70 ohm radiation
resistance found with the free space dipole. Thus
for the same input power, the monopole exhibits
1.41 the base current, 1.41 times the field strength,
and twice the field intensity of the free space dipole.

Kinda cool how it all works out.

73 de Mike, W4EF.............