[Towertalk] Measuring/ calculating Inductance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Measuring/ calculating Inductance
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:40:03 -0600
Hi, Steve and all;

ARRL handbooks provide formulas and graphs for calculating inductance and
designing coils.

>From the 1994 handbook:

"The approximate inductance of a single layer air-core coil....

L = d^2 times n^2) ÷ (18 times d + 40 times l)

where:
L = inductance in microhenrys
d = coil diameter in inches (measured to outside diameter)
l = coil length in inches (measured to greatest length)
n = number of turns
(d^2 = d squared and n^2 = n squared)

This formula is a close approximation for coils having a length equal to or
greater than 0.4d."

The handbook presents several graphs and tables to simplify the calculations
for coils of selected diameters and turns per inch.

Hope this helps.

73 de WOØW