[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:40:27 -0600
On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 "Bill Otten" <res0958z@verizon.net> writes:

   SNIP

> There's  no side forces against the rotor or mast bearing unless
> I settle the  weight  of the tower on the boom.
>
> Bill KC9CS

You obviously don't understand STATIC FORCES
and BENDING MOMENTS.   The weight of your
antenna applied the the mast which is resting on the
collar of your tower which then acts as a fulcrum,
puts a  sideload on a rotor mounted inside a tower.
The further the antenna from the top of the tower,
the greater the sideload.

Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.