[Towertalk] limitations of stacking

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] limitations of stacking
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider (N3RR))
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:07:21 -0500
Pete,

If I understand your question correctly, there is no limitation of 3dB gain
in stacking vs non-stacking.

This is because high angle radiation and other radiation that was previously
*not* included in the "before" gain (such as side lobes), are now possibly
included in the "after" calculation and the result may be greater than 3dB,
sometimes much greater.  That's the **magic** of stacking!!

Note: I said "possibly".  That catch-all is why it's not a fixed dB gain,
but depends on the antennas in question and the stacking distances and
heights.

Bill, N3RR