[Towertalk] limitations of stacking

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] limitations of stacking
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:54:16 -0600
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002  Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> writes:
> Is there a theoretical reason why the gain resulting from stacking
> two HF yagis over real ground is limited to 3 dB?  I have a model of
two
> C-3Es that shows 3.5 dB increase over a single C-3E in the top
position.
> I'm trying to figure out if this is a modeling anomaly of some sort...
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

Are you looking at a fixed angle,
or the peak response for each configuration?

If you double the received energy, you gain 3 dB.
It is hard to imagine how doubling the number
of antennas could receive more than double
the energy.  Typically stacks produce LESS
than 3 dB peak gain over a single antenna.

Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.