[Towertalk] The Ham Radio Business

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] The Ham Radio Business
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:26:01 EST
In a message dated 4/1/02 10:45:20 AM Pacific Standard Time, wy6k@yahoo.com
writes:

> Steve mentioned that only F12 and US Towers seemed to be flourishing.
>  Why is this?

    Why are they flourishing? They've got products that people are buying
lots of.

>  It's my impression that there are two factors: one is the
>  shrinking ham population and the other is the generally poor condition
>  of the economy.  Any other views on this?

    Yes on both counts. In addition, the ham radio marketplace has been in a
decline since before the current sunspot cycle started; we were sure that as
soon as we started getting good propagation and the new hams got in on the
fun on 10M that we'd see an increase in the ham economy. It didn't happen so
everyone is sort of hanging on.

>  Isn't MFJ doing well too?

    I suspect that's true.

>  And I assume that HRO is chugging right along, right?

    Chugging right along is one thing. Growth and profitability are something
else. Look at the millions of dollars Kenwood has lost over the last couple
of years and the deficit the ARRL is running right now.

    The ham radio market is not that big and has its own peculiarities so
it's up to us the buying public to keep it going. I hope you're doing your
part - hi!

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for industry and amateurs