[Towertalk] portable operating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] portable operating
From: ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca (Mike & Coreen Smith)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:09:48 -0400
Paul,

This is strictly anecdotal, however I would put my old n' tired Webster
BandSpanner "mobile" antenna
up against most of the all band "base" vertical antennas anyday.

I have DXCC worked from the car with it on all bands 10-40 and about 50
countries on 80m and with an added
coil and wire (modification) about 15 countries on 160m, all mobile in
motion, mostly CW, 100w with either
a HW-101, FT-101E or a Ten-TEc Argosy 525D (50w). (this was about 10-12
years ago)

No "A" vs."B" tests were done here against my R7000, however it beats a low
G5RV a lot of the time if mounted
on a vehicle up high (above roof-line). I tried that about 12 years ago.
Ended up running my coax from the suburbia , clandestine shack out to the
car when I wanted to operate incognito!

I am not sure mounting it right on the ground would be as good.

Mike VE9AA

Michael, Coreen & Corey Smith
(VE9AA,  VE9AAA & Little-VE9 to be)
271 Smith Rd