[Towertalk] The Ham Radio Business

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] The Ham Radio Business
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:42:29 -0400
On 4/1/02 5:53 PM, A9xw@cs.com at A9xw@cs.com wrote:

>An interesting question in my mind has always been, "Would Heathkit be alive
>and well today if the owners had been better business people instead of
>robber barons who it seems just bought the company to ransack its profits
>for other losing operations like ZENITH  bankrupt at last?"

No.

The reason Heathkit thrived for so long was due to the technology. In the
early 50's electronic gear was all hand-wired. Buying raw parts packaged
as a kit resulted in a substantial savings -- because the builder
supplied the labour.

In the 60's and 70's PC boards reduced the amount of labour -- not that
you didn't need rows of technicians to stuff boards, but because you
could float stuffed boards through the wave solderer, saving lots of time
over soldering individual connections. But there was still some value in
building a kit.

No, the death-knell for kits came when automated insertion equipment was
introduced in the 80's. The labour cost for producing electronic
equipment went to virtually nothing. The introduction of mass-produced
integrated circuits didn't help either.

Sure, Heathkit got worked over by robber barons who were trying to break
into the nacient computer market. But Heathkit would likely have gone out
of the business anyway -- there was just so little value in
builder-supplied labour.

There are a few companies still producing valuable kits, but they are
more for the educational and hobbiest use -- not for substantial savings
over manufacturered equipment.

Ironically, the industry which STARTED Heathkit is doing well --
kit-built aircraft. One can still buy and build a kit airplane that
performs as well or better, at a substantially lower cost than a
production-built aircraft. And it's not rocket science. This industry has
been booming for the last 20 years.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901