[Towertalk] more guying questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] more guying questions
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 02:16:36 -0400
At 01:51 AM 4/27/02 -0400, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>     What kind of 40' tower? If the tower specs call for 3/16 and you install
>1/4, I would probably only tension the guy for the 3/16" spec of 400# instead
>of the 670# that 1/4' calls for.

If I understand what I've read correctly, this is a trade-off.  If you
don't tension to spec, the guy will sag more than it should (because of its
weight).  Then the tower will move more than it should in the wind, because
the first thing the wind does is take out the slack, before it starts
actually to stretch the guy.

On the other hand, if you apply the 670 lb., there will be a little more
compressive force on the tower before the wind ever blows, though that's
unlikely to be an issue except under extreme wind conditions where the
tower approaches its structural limits.

99 percent of the time, I'm sure it will never matter.  But at least we're
back talking about towers.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at