[Towertalk] Re: shopping list be for a full tower climbing kit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: shopping list be for a full tower climbing kit
From: w5kp@swbell.net (Jerry Kincade)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 07:21:53 -0700
Dang good list, Dan. Minor comments:

> You want a lanyard designed to be fallen on - don't
> use a positioning lanyard or a hunk of rope.  Again, good ones are
available
> on eBay.

I'd pass on any used fall arrest lanyards of any kind, from anywhere. They
are not that expensive, and you simply can't tell for absolute sure what
kind of abuse they've had by looking at them. Buy a new one.

> - a roll of scotch 33+ electrical tape, ("accept no substitutes")

Scotch 88T is an excellent "substitute". A bit thicker, outstanding UV
resistance. That's all we use at Ma Bell.

> 5) A tool bucket.  I only use one occassionally, but when you need it, it
is
> great.  I trail a light line behind me when I climb, so that my ground
crew
> can throw stuff I need in the bucket (which I usually leave on the ground)
> and then I can pull it up.  If you don't use a tool belt, then a bucket
> becomes mandatory (List #1), and you probably need two.

Klein sells three sizes of soft sided canvas buckets with leather bottoms
and rope handles with brass snap. WalMart plastic stuff is much cheaper, but
bangs, rattles, and bonks around a lot up there - plus the handles aren't
exactly reliable for a heavy load. You can pass the Klein buckets on to your
ham grandkids when you go.

Pretty good shopping list, I'd say!

73, Jerry W5KP