[Towertalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions?
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 20:00:58 +0100
WB6RSE wrote:
>Comments / recommedantions on these and others appreciated.

AEA CIA-HF
Autek Analyst
MFJ 259B
MFJ 269

        I have the first 3 of these and they all have their
strengths and weaknesses.  It really depends what you are
trying to do as to which is best.

AEA CIA-HF:  The swept display on this makes it excellent for
measurements where you need "the big picture".  For example,
when tuning a Beverage, you adjust the termination resistor
for the flattest SWR over the range of interest.

Autek Analyst:  Best for simple measurements where you need
portability, such as tuning a gamma match at the top of your
tower, but it reads only simple measurements (e.g. SWR) and
not complex impedance.

MFJ 259B:  Best overall analyzer IMHO.  Easy to get very accurate
measurements since it reads complex impedance (but without the
sign of the reactive part).  This makes it best for tuning
phasing lines to exact multiples or checking antenna resonances
very precisely.  Some have problems with BCI overload but I live
far from any broadcast stations and have never had any problems.

        The last two are very easy to accidentally turn on and
drain your battery.  If I only could have one of these, I would
definitely choose the MFJ-259B.

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV