[Towertalk] Seeking input for new antenna.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Seeking input for new antenna.
From: k4ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:24:10 -0400
Carl,

I can echo Hasan's comments ...

> From: hasan schiers
>
> Go look at the Tennadyne line of Log Periodics...they are quite
> moderate in wind load and are superb performers.
>
> They cover 13-30 mhz with a consistent gain, and more importantly,
> consistent front to back. The measurements I made on my T-10
> showed a front to back of no less than 17 dB on EVERY frequency
> I could bother to check from 13 - 30 mhz. I saw a few places where
> the f/b was about 22 dB.

Look into a log periodic as an option.  I won't deal with a specific
choice of brand but I have run models for a couple of the 18 foot,
eight or nine element LPs.  Their gain is competitive with to
slightly better than the 18 foot "trapless multibanders" ... the
LP's front to back is slightly less, particularly on 20 and 17.  For
this, the cost of the Tennadyne T-8 or Cushcraft ASL-2010 is about
the same as the Force 12 C3e and ca. $200 less than the new XR-5.

Aside from the log-periodic, your antenna choice will depend on
how much performance you want and on what bands:

  1) If you are happy with the performance of the D3W, get the C3e
     (or C4 if you want to add 40 meter capability) and install
     the D3W above it parallel to the boom.
  2) If you want maximum performance on 20/15/10, get the XR-19
     and install the D3W as above.
  3) If you want better performance on 17 and 12 with generally
     equal performance on all five bands, then go with the XR-5
     or a log periodic.

The FluidMotion StepIR is an interesting concept but a bit unproven
(in my opinion) in the long term reliability area.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK