[Towertalk] Seeking input for new antenna.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Seeking input for new antenna.
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:53:53 -0600
Yes, the XR5 is 2L per band.  Actually a very good simple design.
You can line reflectors up by band with little destructive interaction.
the problem is with directors.  That's where traps or close spaced
sleeved elements come into play.

The XR7 is a good 18 ft boom design with full size reflectors for
15 and 20 (10M not needed due to directivity of the LP DE Cell).
The trapped director gets away from interaction problems.  The
28 ft boom X9 had less than 1 dB more gain so doesn't seem worth
the hastle.  Another featureof the X7 is it's robust construction.
Nice cost effective antenna.  Power should not be an issue with
the DE but as you mentioned, but the balun may be a concern.
Ask CC or see if someone is interested in performing a destructive
test :-).

I expect the XR5 is comparable to a good LP on the 5 high bands.
LP's are another good alternative.  Probably takes a longer boom
to realize better gain and of course that means higher windload.

The SteppIR-3 looks very interesting.  The boom is a little short
on 20M (1 dB down from a 24 ft boom) but a good compromise
for the 5 bands and of course the parasitics can be optimized
for each band.  Should be a solid performer.  The jury is out
on durability.  Probably the most bang for windload.

The 5 Band Quads seem to be pretty good, especially if you
use separate feedlines. See W4RNL's website for good designs.
This may be the most cost effective solution.  Make sure you
use strong spreaders that can handle  ICE loading. (There
goes the cost :-)

ALL good choices.  It comes down to personal preferences
and secondary tradeoffs (price, windload, construction, etc.)

Let us know what you decide.

73 / GL,  Tom  N4KG