[Towertalk] Distance to tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Distance to tower
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 04:42:11 -0600
Here's my idea for a single 160 ft tower:

First, ROTATE the TOWER.

Second, use fiberglass guy rod at 40, 80, 120, 160 ft.

Antennas:

160 ft   2L40 plus 80M rotary dipole (at right angles)

120 ft   BIG Tribander or 5 Bander

80 ft     2L40 (plus dipole for 30, or 2L30)

40 ft     Tribander or 5 Bander

Rationale:

Stacked 2L40's at 160 / 80 ft provides as much gain as a 3L40
on a 48 ft boom with much smaller booms.  80M dipoles play
very well at 160 ft.

120 ft for high bands provides good low angle coverage AND
the second lobe is placed at the upper end of the range of
angles by the ionosphere.

40 ft for high bands is a GREAT Daytime height for the high
bands and it fills in the NULLS of the higher high band antenna.

A second tower (40 to 60 ft) with another tribander or 5 bander is
useful.

Above analysis assumes LEVEL Terrain.

Tom  N4KG