[Towertalk] Rohn tip-over base failed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rohn tip-over base failed
From: g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk (Cleeve)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 01:26:27 +0000
Interesting information.......good job you investigated the problem....over
here, in the UK, my Strumech P60, a 60 foot three section, galvanised, self
supporting, wind up, tilt over tower, has a pivot bar that is 1 inch in
diameter, and about 1 foot long, with the pivot bearing brackets made of half
inch thick steel sheet, welded to the legs of the tower. My tower has been up
at this location, since 1982, and it was second hand when I bought it. The
hurricane of October 1987, when winds in Surrey UK were gusting at 110 MPH,
had no effect on it, other than to lock the sections and prevent me lowering
and "nesting" the tower.....

        I hope that you have now replaced those bolts with certified "high
tensile"
items, and maybe even added additional reinforcement where the holes have
become elongated....sincerely, John Cleeve. G3JVC.