[Towertalk] Antenna Wind Loading Calculations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna Wind Loading Calculations
From: w9jcc@juno.com (Frank C Travanty)
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:31:35 -0500
Dave,
Near as I can tell, the 70 MPH number for UST is the only one that has
the PE's name behind it, and thats for the antenna at one foot above the
tower top, with the tower at full height. I suspect it stops here because
it would be difficult to cover a large variety of antenna configurations
above the mast. If you have the UST Engineering specs, and antenna
wind speed and tower height, with any antenna arrangement. I ran into the
same dilema a couple of years ago, and decided to write my own program
(in Excel) for the Tower bending Moment and the Mast loading for the
general case of up to six tower sections. The program is valid for self
supporting towers that have their worst case bending moment at the base.
You can find the spreadsheet on the ARRL QEX web site. Article was in
July/August 2001 QEX, or both can be found in the 2001 ARRL Periodicals.
Also, can do it manually by using the ARRL Antenna Book section on Towers
and windloading. This may not be adequate if you need a sign off from a
PE, but it should get you darn close before you need to spend any money.

73,
Frank W9JCC