[Towertalk] Re: Coax Connector Losses - Does anyone know?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Coax Connector Losses - Does anyone know?
From: n2tk@arrl.net (N2TK)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:15:14 -0400
Once I have the outer covering cut off, I tin the shield all around,
lightly. I then use a tubing cutter to cut through the tinned shield. I
finish cutting through the dielectric with a box cutter. Then I pull off the
dielectric. I then tin the center conductor. Then I twist on the PL-259. If
you don't over-tin, then the 259 turns on easy. I just hold the coax in one
hand while I twist on the 259. The outer covering is cut so that once the
259 is all the way on, The outer covering is about 1/3 - 1/2 way into the
259. Then I solder through the 4 holes. When I take off the solder iron, the
solder should suck in each hole. I do one hole at a time. I press the tip of
the iron in the hole and let the solder flow in the hole to the coax shield
and 259. I then solder the center conductor. I hold the iron along side the
tip and feed the solder into the center pin. The center conductor can be
trimmed before you solder. I usually have the center conductor cut to length
so that when I put on the 259 it is just about flush with the tip. Once I
have good solder flow, I remove the iron and while still molten, I wipe the
tip with a rag. This prevents solder bumps on the tip which can cause a
problem when trying to use the 259. By the way I use silver Pl-259's. They
solder to easy. I also use nickel tinned ones. Before soldering through the
4 holes, I sand or scrape around the holes so it is easier to solder.

Does this help? Need more info? Once you get the hang of it, you can have a
very good soldered PL-259 that will last years.

Tony
N2TK