[Towertalk] Soldering PL-259s (agn)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Soldering PL-259s (agn)
From: K4BEV@aol.com (K4BEV@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:27:15 EDT
In a message dated 7/11/02 16:34:36 Central Daylight Time, aa4lr@arrl.net
writes:

>   I cannot put the connector barrel on to the RG-213 if there's too much
> tinning.......

And there's the rub. Just Lightly tin the braid. As you've observed; Too much
is not a good thing, as usual.

BTW.... I've read some folks favoriable opinions (here and in other places)
about using a BIG iron on PL-259s.
I use a 40W iron with a heavy, pyramid shaped tip. Works every time!
I also tin the braid and center conductor and then go do something else for a
while. Once the coax has cooled I heat the PL-259 with a heat shrink gun (a
paint stripper gun works too) screw it onto the coax, and solder it on. I've
been using the RS silver solder lately and really like the way it flows and
looks (nice and shiny).
"Fairly small"  diameter solder (.032 is about the smallest I'd use) is much
easier to work with in the small holes on the connector. Neither really fine
stuff, nor the larger dia solder work well for me.

A few more unsolicitated tips:
Keep the iron clean and tinned.
Make sure the braid is nice and shiny when you start. If not, cut a few
inches off and try again. Try to cut the coax where you can use the
manufacturer's writting on it to as a reference when you measure where to
make your cuts.
If you use the back of a thin knife heated with a torch you can remove the
jacket and center insulation very cleanly without damaging any strands....
Plenty of ventilation required (I go outside). I make the initial cut with a
heavy, very sharp, utility knife trying to just cut through the outer jacket
and the braid, without disturbing the center conductor. If the knife isn't
sharp enough it will tend to snag strands of the braid, pull them out and
fold them into the center conductor. If you see this; Cut off an inch or two,
sharpen your knife, and start again.
DO NOT touch the braid or center conductor with your fingers. The oils picked
up will not help you.
Make sure everything is CLEAN.
Use a damp cloth or sponge to clean the iron when it first gets hot. After
that use a dry rag between soldering joints. I love it when my xyl gets new
washcloths. I get the old ones. I wash them with TSP and a bit of bleach and
then dry them on a clothesline or in the dryer with NO fabric softner. Each
one lasts quite a while. When I was a kid I frequently used my jeans to wipe
the iron.... First time you're at the bench in shorts will break you of this
habit!
When you're finished; Turn the iron off, wipe it with a damp rag or sponge
then a dry cloth, and tin it well.
I have a table lamp on my work bench. If a soldering iron is on the lamp is
on too. Makes it harder to wander off with the iron on. I've intended to put
the irons and the lamp on a switched set of receptacles, but never have. I've
had some irons ruined by leaving them on all night, and others not bothered
at all... The tip has to be replaced though. Haven't had an "incident" since
adding the lamp many years ago.

Have fun,
Don - K4BEV

multipart/alternative