[Towertalk] Antenna analysers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna analysers
From: w6ivw@cox.net (Jim Hill)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:13:07 -0700
eHam.net http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/31  has some other thoughts
that might help you decide which analyzer to purchase.  I don't own either,
so can't comment personally.  Another (but much more expensive) source is
AEA.  You might want to check the on-line manuals for the CIA and VIA at
http://www.aea-wireless.com/via.htm  Tolerances are worse than you might
realize, but at least you know where you stand.

Another approach is to purchase an antenna analyzer and then look for a RF
impedance bridge like the General Radio 916 or 1606 (hope the model numbers
are correct; they are from memory).  They probably will be at least 50
years old, but are made from quality passive parts.  They are totally
unsuitable for use on a tower, so you would need to use a feed line and
Smith chart.  If you are interesting in building one (no kidding...)  I
have some construction information that was written by a Hughes engineer
many years ago, that appears to be well researched and tested.  Main
problems would be fabricating aluminum shield boxes and finding the
variable capacitor.  I started to build it, and then found a 916 bridge.  I
could loan you the document for review and reproduction.  Loan is
contingent on me being able to find it.
73's Jim