[Towertalk] mobile antenna matching problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] mobile antenna matching problem
From: wa3gin@erols.com (David Jordan)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:24:39 -0400
Bob,

You could solve your problem really fast if you had a MFJ 259 antenna
analyzer.  It's not clear whether what you have in the way or resonance
or input impedance.
At 13.1mhz you have your 1:1 50ohm match but the antenna may not be
resonant at that freq.  The analyzer will tell you what you have.

The presumption that no ground and no RFI is OK if false. You need the
bonding for the antenna to perform.  The skin effect of the sheet metal
of the vehicle is critical to the optimization of the mobile antenna's
performance. Bond the bracket to the frame rails or sheet metal of your
vehicle and take you measurements again.  I've seen as much a 10-15db
difference on receive signals from making such a change!

Don't detune your antenna in search of a 1:1 match.  Use the analyzer to
determine the resonance and adjust the antenna for the freq. you prefer,
then build a matching device to match the coax impedance to the input
impedance of the antenna. The instructions with the mobile whip should
have directions to build a simple matching device. Usually a shunt coil
across the input with the input coax tapped across the coil till 1:1 is
found.

Enjoy,
dave
wa3gin