[Towertalk] Tailtwister won't turn.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tailtwister won't turn.
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 02:03:20 -0400
 I have the same problem that Dave K1HT is experiencing.  Right now my rotor
is stuck on 20 degrees (I was trying to hear 9N7AS on 17).  Rocking it back
and forth doesn't work but it will turn after a day or so but its sluggish.

This happened about 6 or 7 years ago and a local who works on the rotors
took it apart and the grease had turned to chauk.  I replaced the starting
cap but the replacements available are much bigger and Telex/Hy-Gain sent me
a sheet on how to install (mount) the new aerovox cap..I had to use
electrical tape to hold it down.

Anyone have any ideas why the grease degrades (Hy-Gain iold me they had
never heard of such a thing).

I agree that for 100 feet or more you need bigger cable.  I upgraded to the
bigger Belden cable about 14 years ago.  With the clunk of the solenoid I
suspect that both K1HT and I need to get the rotor serviced.

73 Dave K4JRB