[Towertalk] Re: Trylon and AN towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Trylon and AN towers
From: k9rz@radiks.net (Bill Jackson)
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:40:48 -0500
Dan Simmonds wrote:

>The truth is slowly creeping out.
>
>Because the Trylon Titan series may not be classified directly as a
>"commercial" tower, that certainly does not make it exempt from TIA/EIA
>regulations, which govern all towers, with no exceptions.

Dan,

If I am not mistaken, EIA/TIA 222-Rev F. is a specification and not a
regulation.  It only becomes a regulation when a governing body that
administers zoning regulations and/or building codes adopts it as a
requirement.  Therefore, if a tower is not manufactured to EIA/TIA
specification, it is not necesssarily "illlegal" to erect as you imply.

Also, in order to meet EIA/TIA specification, the tower must also be
installed according to the specification, otherwise the whole proccess
is moot.  Many ham towers are not installed according to EIA/TIA
specification, but are perfectly safe and have been approved by local
zoning authorities.  Most amateurs can not afford to purchase and/or
installl a tower and have the whole installation conform to EIA/TIA
specification.  They do the minimum in order to meet the requirements of
the local zoning regulations that are in affect for an individual
homeowner installation..

As always, each manufacturer and installation has to be evaulated on an
individual basis.

73 de Bill