[Towertalk] Guy Anchor Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy Anchor Question
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 22:33:08 -0400
At 09:47 PM 9/4/02 -0400, Jim White wrote:
>I just am real uncomfortable about dirt sand soil whatever as a guy anchor
>anchor... concrete = peace of mind.

When I was planning my tower one of the MEs on the reflector gave me a
tutorial on how all guy anchors work.  The bottom line was that the weight
of a concrete anchor is helpful, but the big factor is the amount of soil
that the anchor would pull with it, if it were to move along the axis of
the guy wire.  That is critically affected by the soil characteristics.

In these terms, the big advantage of the concrete anchor is the large
surface area compared to a 4,6, or even 10 inch screw anchor.  It's all
about margin.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower